The assembly fitting of parts that make up the Sd.Kfz.261 5.Serie continued this week. This is being done with the aid of period parts books, manuals and images. The aim is to identify which parts we have and which parts we still have to source. The outlook is good for now given what we have found thus far. The lower large Querlenker wishbones for the wheel station suspension have been checked and the missing two will be remedied by a trip we made to our pattern maker who will produce 2 to match the originals. This is very good news as we were concerned given the rarity of 5.Serie (late) armoured car chassis parts available.
Work on the air filters for the Sd.Kfz.222 4.Serie, Sd.Kfz.223 3.Serie and Sd.Kfz.223 4.Serie continues. The 3D carburettor air inlet trumpet drawings had to be altered due to a dimensioning issue expected once the assembly fitting had taken place. The new plastic 3D example will arrive soon – ready to be fitted before we order a final 3D print run in aluminium. The missing radiator stands for the Sd.Kfz.223 3.Serie and Sd.Kfz.223 4.Serie are now in hand. They were fabricated this week – a good end result.
Our large lathe has been repositioned in the workshop requiring new electrical socket fitting and the return screw has been finally fitted after lying beside the lathe since it was delivered.
A spectacular photo collection was secured last weekend which will add significantly to the image archive in the Foundation. This has been written up extensively in this week’s Inside Track together with a snapshot of where we are in collecting the required Instrument Clusters and instruments for the SARC 9Marmon Herrington) MK III armoured cars.