Normandy late August 1944. Intense fighting raged around the village of Saint Lambert-sur-Dives. The Allies remorselessly crushed German forces into an ever tightening pocket around the town of Falaise in the final stages of the Battle of Normandy. One of the units in the desperate drive to break out of the Allied encirclement in the retreat back to Germany was the 10th SS Panzer Division 'Frundsberg'. By the end of the battle the roads and fields around the village were littered with shattered German vehicles and equipment. The war moved on. The wreckage was removed or left half buried to be forgotten over the decades.
Nearly 70 years after this engagement, in 2005, we received large sections of what appeared to be a Sd.Kfz.250 Ausf. A, still retaining vestiges of its original camouflage and a key tactical marking. This light German armoured half track included the complete left hand side armour panel, with the track fender cover and the rear panel without the access door.
We already had a completely intact and original Sd.Kfz.250 Ausf. However before we obtained this Sd.Kfz.250, it had been blasted and painted. These actions had obliterated the original camouflage, unit insignia or tactical markings.
Become a Member - Access the Full Article
Members gain access to the full content of our articles, including photo galleries.