This very complete Sd.Kfz.250 B hull was discovered, by contractors in Eastern Europe, buried in an old shell hole. The vehicle retained all its thin metal internals and externals in addition to its armour. There was no trace of the vehicle’s original markings save for a white shield with what appeared to be an arrow on the rear access door. After some research this was confirmed to be the unit insignia of the 6th Panzer Division, which was engaged in fierce combat in Hungary in the winter of 1944-5. We do not know yet where exactly it was unearthed. The location is important as it could provide us with more clues as to when it was destroyed which in turn will assist in identifying the exact deployment within the 6th Panzer Division’s strength - company, section or even the people who served in this particular vehicle.
The external characteristics of the vehicle provide us with further insight. The upper rear left hand side panel where the antenna base is located shows a panel about 20cm in length protruding into the vehicle interior. This plate is specific to the body of the Sd.Kfz.250/3 Ausf.B or Sd.Kfz.250/5 and provides protection for the antenna cable at the point of entry into the antenna base area.
Become a Member - Access the Full Article
Members gain access to the full content of our articles, including photo galleries.